Pilates was formed in the early 20th century by a man called Joseph Pilates who was a gymnast and bodybuilder, who had suffered frequent ill-health as a child. It was originally called “contrology”, using a series of careful controlled precise movements to strengthen the core muscles, or as Joseph liked to call it the ‘Powerhouse”. These muscles are so important as their role is to support the spine and pelvis and if these muscles are not functioning as they should the end result is often lower back pain or pain around the pelvis area.
Joseph wanted pilates to create a balance in the body, with each muscle and joint working equally as effectively. Here at figure and form we aim to help you get back to this ‘balanced’ state either in small groups or one to one.
What could pilates help with?
- Everyone could benefit with a stronger powerhouse!
- Lower back pain
- Pelvic pain
- Recovery after childbirth (at least 6 weeks after baby is born and you’ve been signed off by the midwife)
- Recovery following surgery. (Again at least 6 weeks after any operation and the all clear from the Dr)
- Anyone needing to relax and unwind
- Anyone wanting to get active without doing high impact sports